Friday, January 05, 2007

Have you ever found a book in an unlikely place and known it was written just for you? I was checking out at WalMart yesterday when I noticed a rack tucked away in a corner full of Christian based books. Yes, Wally World has a section in their book aisle devoted to Bible studies and such, but here was a display (if you could call it displayed considering where it was) of books about life with Scriptural inspiration. There were books about raising children and even pets. The book I picked up is entitiled 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue.

If you know me, you know that I don't always watch what I say. Sometimes I think my "good sense" sensor was damaged during one of my strokes. I guess it's possible, but my Free Will was not. I can control the words that come out of my mouth, but sometimes I need help realizing that what's coming out is something that needs to be controlled. I used to call it, "telling it like it is" but when I stop to think about who I'm talking to or whether I would want someone telling me these things - well...

The Bible reminds us constantly to watch our tongues. They can be full of lies, hurt, gossip, slander, rudeness, judgment (one of my biggest personal struggles), complaints, accusations, and more. Like the Ring of Power, they can betray their owners without us realizing it. James 3:8 says "No man can tame the tongue" and I believe it. Only by trusting God can we accomplish anything, and this is no exception.

I'm not talking about turning into a timid or passive lackey. I will still voice my concerns when the situation calls for it. But if you notice me (shock!) stopping to think about my words before I say them, bear with me. I am working toward the goal of Isaiah 50:4 - The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season.

No comments: